The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Wordless Explanations


Hot Springs, here we come.  Let me try to explain.

Tomorrow morning these two strong and honest women will be my traveling companions.  We are off once again to a destination half way around the world to visit 25 treasures and their remarkable parents in a place so many of us at Highview have come to regard as a second family, a second home.  There's something deeply good afoot for this particular trip, at least that's been my 'hunch' since last January when, sitting at Suradet and Yupa's table, I first wrote the email inviting them to come back with me in July.

Both Andrea and Esther have been to Thailand before, Andrea with YWAM during her DTS in South East Asia, and Esther to Hot Springs for two visits already.  Both these women are exemplary students working on degrees in nursing and music, respectively.  And they are both faithful leaders in our Children's Ministry.  Their faith is solid and demonstrable, and they are keen to be learning more about who they are in the big picture of God's kingdom come.  So you can already guess with me that this will be a trip with lots of soul-ish work AND tons of adventurous fun.  Honestly, how is it I get to do this?

Of course personally there is the anticipation of again simply being with this unique and astonishing family that has so captured my heart.  I miss them every single day.  Six months is too long.  But on Thursday, if all goes according to the good-things-afoot-Planner, I won't have to ache for them for 21 whole days. 

Again I ask, how is it I get to do this?

In all my life, there have been these rare points of connection when everything else seems to be distilled and attached and explained by one single fact, one focused reality, one redeeming moment in the story.  Thailand, for me, is one of those points.  Not Thailand necessarily, but those kids, and Suradet and Yupa, all of whom have become family in a way family not often manifests itself.  These courageous, kind, generous, genuine, gutsy people, and the way they've allowed me to know and be known among them make everything else that hasn't gone right in my life up to this point, be alright after all.  Or not matter so much.  Or be transformed into the beautiful transitional thing it was to get me to here.  And if that doesn't make much sense it's because the more I try to explain what's happened, the more wordless it becomes. 

Oh my.  I will be a wreck at the airport.

It is our hope to tell our stories as we go along. 
Send the pictures. 
Share the adventure. 
So stay tuned. 

This should be good.




No comments: